Requesting a communication professional (interpreter, Lip speaker etc.)


Legal responsibility

The Equality Act 2010 states that service providers have a duty to make reasonable adjustments for someone who is at a disadvantage because of their disability. (In this case providing communication to access information).

Accessible Information Standard 2016

Health and Social Care Organisations are legally required to follow the Accessible information Standard. people who have a sensory impairment have a right to access information so that they can communication effectively with health and social care services.

Points to consider when requesting communication support (health and social care)

  1. Tell the service provider you are deaf; hard of hearing; deafblind.
  2. Tell them that communication support is necessary for you to get the right healthcare.
  3. Tell them your communication format e.g.BSL Interpreter, Lipspeaker, Notetaker etc.
  4. Ask them to make a longer appointment time for you
  5. Tell them how to contact you e.g. mobile sms text, email, Minicom
  6. If they refer you on to a consultant or other support ask them to share your communication need and contact methods.
  7. If you are having difficulty requesting an interpreter or other method of communication support contact Wakefield Deaf Society, South Parade, Wakefield 01924 375958 voice / Minicom / fax or sms 07760482372 for support with your communication request.